Skip to main content

In Conversation with Synesthetic Artist Jack Coulter

On synesthesia, Jean-Michel Basquiat and working with SOAK... exclusively in Jack's words.

Who are you and what do you do?
My name is Jack Coulter. I am an abstract expressionist artist from Belfast, born in 1994.

Why do you do what you do? Where do you draw inspiration for your work?
Growing up as a child, I was heavily exposed to abstract art. My aunt Christine was my greatest influence - she was an abstract printmaker. My mum had her prints exhibited in every room of my house - they are breathtaking compositions. I was in awe of her work - I could 'hear' her paintings. Later in life, I became aware that I was born with synesthesia. To have her embrace my artwork from an early age was vital; young minds are brittle - disbelief can arise from just one individual's opinion. Whilst living in Germany, she once had dinner with Georg Baselitz - he was lucky to have met her. She always believed in me, even when no one else did. She sadly passed away the day before I began art college.

How do you work?
In the absence of time. I work with the canvas on the floor, forming rhythms of the unborn. I do not use paint brushes; I use sticks, sand, broken glass. I use second-hand house paint bought from charity shops or found on the street. My expression has not changed since I was a child. My mum has a work of mine which I painted when I was four years old - black/acid green - everyone thinks that I painted it recently, saying, "your style has developed".

What themes do you pursue, if any?
Love, death, birth, oneirology. I am infatuated with the idealisms of psychic automatism; I rarely work from a pre-conceived idea. The affirmation of 'beauty' as such resides within the unconscious, metaphysically non-existent expression. The spontaneity arises in parallel with original musical compositions—I paint to sound, in loveless silence. I paint everything that I am, was, am yet to be - a mere psychoanalytical pursuit of instilled aleatory.


Do you have a favourite piece or type of art work? Which artists, if any, would you like to be compared to?
The greatest compliment is when an individual compares my work to my aunt Christine's. In terms of art history; the list is endless - 1940s post-war abstract expressionism, Pollock, Rothko, De Kooning, Kline, Motherwell, Newman. Also various second generation painters - Sam Francis, Joan Mitchell, Helen Frankenthaler, Morris Louis. No living artist inspires me. I adore Frida Kahlo's diary - a visual representation of her mind. Her illustrations are beautiful - pain depictions - "I love you more than my own skin." Jean-Michel Basquiat, genius child; he revolutionised the 'artist' stereotype. I wish that I could have met him. Inspiration comes in all forms; Rimbaud's 'Ophelia' once inspired me to paint - one's mind is rarely conditioned.

What do you like and/or dislike about your work and why?
I am thankful that I can express my feelings through abstraction; I feel sorry for those who are caged within figurative representation - there is no psychological release. I am fuelled by self-doubt. "The greater the artist, the greater the doubt. Perfect confidence is granted to the less talented as a consolation prize." - Robert Hughes. I recently finished art college and I have never been more ecstatic to leave a place in my life. The one place where I thought that my work would fit in. Instead, I was thrown out of the painting course twice. Though in this day and age, you need a degree to supposedly 'succeed' in society, which is obscene. A piece of paper does not define your self worth.

Describe your workspace.
I have painted in my garage since I was a child; it is chaotic - though I would never change it.

Does music play a role in the conception or creation of your paintings?
Music is a vital component to my work - I have synesthesia; I can 'hear' colours. I paint to my own original musical compositions; my heart resides in ambience. Two of my favourite painting records: 'Kind of Blue' (Miles Davis) and 'Apollo: Atmospheres and Soundtracks' (Brian Eno).

What is your dream project?
Contentment. My art has always been a personal form of expression, a release. My paintings were only for me to view; now, the world is exposed to my workings. I receive thousands of messages online - I once received a devastating message which left me in pieces. I have never mentioned it to anyone as it is a heartbreaking yet experiential subject. An anonymous girl told me that she was about to take her own life, then she saw one of my paintings online and it changed her mind. It made me cry - if my sole life's purpose was for that one moment to arise; I will forever be serene.

Your work featured in a solo exhibition, Breathe, at The National in Belfast in 2013. Tell me about that.
I was the first artist to ever present work there - Banksy exhibited there almost a year after me. I placed my work on easels; this was an exhibitory technique used by 'The Irascibles' in the 1940s. I received a message last week and it said that my exhibition inspired them to start painting; it was surreal.

Signing with Rough Trade to create the artwork for SOAK's debut album must have been very exciting – is creating artwork for such high profile clients a goal for you? What influence does, or would fame have on your work?
Bridie (SOAK) chose six of my monochrome images to feature on her debut album Before We Forgot How To Dream. Bridie is an aestheticist; she is the truth. Her album resonates an embodiment of memory, nostalgia, personal endearment; the artwork coincides beautifully. Andy Warhol, Jean-Michel Basquiat, Keith Haring, Roy Lichtenstein, Alexander McQueen, Damien Hirst, Gerhard Richter, Banksy, Robert Rauschenberg, Salvador Dalí have all had their artwork featured on an album; it is surreal. Fame as an entity is not my idea of happiness - it is a mirage, the public only see the polished exterior. Fame has killed; fame will continue to kill; fame will forever kill. The answers do not exist within fame, religion, materialism and artificial stimulation - they are pain measuring societal concepts.

Have you any projects in the pipeline at the moment? What does the future hold for you?
Later this year, a potentially life-changing opportunity - though I have to keep it quiet. The future; imminent breath.

And lastly, a clichéd interview question to finish: you’re stranded on a desert island and you can only have one item… what would it be?

Love.

Check out some examples of Jack's work on his Instagram here.

© All Images Copyright Jack Coulter. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Niandra Lades and Usually Just a T-Shirt - John Frusciante

Dedicated to Clara Balzary, bandmate Flea's daughter (Source: wikipedia.org) "My smile is a rifle, won't you give it a try?" The first time I listened to Niandra Lades and Usually Just a T-Shirt was in the back of my family’s campervan parked in Calais after we’d just been robbed. I hadn’t listened to it – or any of Frusciante’s narcotic haze of nineties releases – since, preferring his more polished offerings of To Record Only Water for Ten Days and Shadows Collide With People , until my sister bought me a copy of Niandra Lades for my birthday. My main memories of the album were Frusciante’s wails making me jump as I tried to drift off with my headphones in. So, safe to say, I was a little apprehensive upon receiving this gift.      Although released in 1994, the first half of the album – Niandra Lades – was recorded prior to Frusciante’s departure from the Red Hot Chili Peppers during the recording of Blood Sugar Sex Magik at the allegedly haunted

The North is Next

'The North is Next' as it appears in print (Source: my own) “The North is Next” read the sign held aloft by Sinn F é in’s Michelle O’Neill and Mary Lou McDonald as the landslide victory of Ireland’s Repeal the 8 th referendum was announced at Dublin Castle earlier this year. Though for some, there was the underlying feeling that not all Irish women had reason to celebrate. Whilst the Republic’s constitutional ban on abortion would now be lifted, the six north-eastern counties of Ulster remain faced with some of the most restrictive abortion laws in the world. In the last few years, the Republic has been a leading light across the world for becoming the first country to legalise same sex-marriage by popular vote and also electing an openly gay Taoiseach. A once devoutly Catholic state has become a liberal and progressive society, dwarfing its conservative and backward northern counterpart. The four small words that make up that alliterative slogan – “The North is Next

Film Review: The Graduate (1967)

"Would you like me to seduce you?" Everyone knows the iconic still of Dustin Hoffman and a wedding dress-clad Katharine Ross looking relived and slightly bewildered sitting at the back of a bus. The actors’ expressions in this scene have gone on to become synonymous with Mike Nichols’ 1967 classic The Graduate . Recent East Coast graduate Benjamin Braddock (Dustin Hoffman), something of an over-achiever at college, returns to his home in the shallowness of white southern Californian suburbia, unsure of where his life is heading and surrounded by “plastics”. Following a family dinner party, Ben is seduced by his parents’ friend Mrs. Robinson (Anne Bancroft), spawning the classic line “Would you like me to seduce you?”. This then develops into a full-blown tremulous affair between the married and much older Mrs. Robinson and the virginal Ben. It soon becomes clear that Mrs. Robinson is in a loveless marriage and is only using Ben for sex. Coerced by his parents,