Skip to main content

School of Rrrock!: Girls Rock School NI & Shannon O'Neill Profile

An electronic patchwork of moving tiles and faces, some lifting a guitar up to the camera, some poised next to a microphone and all smiling, fill young girls’ computer screens across Ireland and beyond. This virtual band practice is the most recent incarnation of Girls Rock School NI.

Founded at Belfast’s Oh Yeah Music Centre in 2016 as a spinoff of Ladies Rock Camp, Girls Rock is a summer music camp that gives girls and non-binary youth aged 11-16 the opportunity to learn an instrument from scratch, form their own bands, write their own songs and cut their teeth as burgeoning rock stars. Weeks of coaching, merch-making workshops and Q&As with the province’s leading women musicians lead up to the final showcase where the new-fangled groups take to the stage to showcase their original material to a live audience for the first time.

Girls Rock NI was the brainchild of Sister Ghost frontwoman Shannon O’Neill back when she was a student. After hearing about a similar Girls Rock Camp in Edinburgh, she spoke to Charlotte Dryden from the Oh Yeah Centre and the Women’s Work Festival committee about setting up a chapter in Northern Ireland.

“When I heard about what is was, it just blew my mind that there was nothing like that here,” she explains. “It started off as a one-day workshop where I brought my electric guitar, a bass, we borrowed a drum kit and a couple of mics and people just showed up and tried out instruments for the first time and just jammed together – the only parameter was that they identified as female or non-binary. It just took off from there.

Our first ever rock camp that we did was a three-day one around Easter 2018. That was a huge moment because it was the first time that we were able to engage with girls. Prior to that, it had always been the Ladies Rock! adult camps. The youngest was about nine, so that was really cool seeing them get on stage. There was one girl doing death metal growls!” she laughs. “At that age they’re fearless, they’re less scared to take up space.”

Far from only honing girls’ music skills, the camp has a huge focus on self-esteem building. Shannon believes many campers come to Girls Rock! at a crucial age where self-consciousness is starting to creep in and that childhood pluckiness starts to waver.

“There’s something that happens when they hit puberty, from about 12-16, where they drop out of music class. There’s a confidence drop. That’s why at our last summer camp, we specifically engaged with 11-16 year-olds to focus on that. Instead of just being about music, we do stuff about wellbeing and positive body image and confidence building, communications skills, concepts like consent and having body hair. You get to meet these girls maybe the summer before they go to high school and start judging themselves - you can get them at that point before. So if that happens to them in the school or the world outside of camp, they can remember, ‘but at Girls Rock, I was taught that it’s okay to be myself’. Beyond music – writing badass songs and having stage presence - that’s the most important role that Girls Rock plays.”

On International Women’s Day last year, campers performed at Stormont and Belfast City Hall. For Shannon, the image of these young girls performing and taking up space in important public places is symbolic. Organised by the Green Party’s Clare Bailey, the girls performed a “raw but fun” version of ‘Rebel Girl’ by Bikini Kill and ‘Alternative Ulster’ on the steps of the government building. “It was very powerful to see these young women – and such a diverse group of them as well – on the steps of our government building and shouting out a song like ‘Rebel Girl’”.

Girls Rock School were fortunate to have their 2020 public showcases before the onset of the pandemic in March. The shift to online workshops has been an unexpectedly fruitful experience for campers and counsellors alike. Thanks to an Arts Council grant, the school were able to host virtual open mic nights over the summer and invite graduates of Girls Rock School back as interns. ‘Wild and Free (Play It Loud!)’, an original GRS track written and recorded entirely online by campers from across the UK and Ireland, is a melodic grunge number and has even been picked up by radio stations in London. “It did really well and it showed us that things can be done virtually,” Shannon beams. “It helped the community to stay together but also grow – we’ve met new people who found us through Instagram, it’s crazy things like this you wouldn’t have thought about before.

We’re in our fifth year now and it’s been humbling to see that there’s more of a presence of female-identified, non-binary and queer musicians in the scene. In 2016 and prior to that – I started Sister Ghost in 2014 – I was in the only all-female band in NI [Vanilla Gloom] and it was bizarre to perform in that scene. Even the all-Ireland scene, there was only us and September Girls and maybe one other band.”

Shannon sees the success of Dublin all-woman quartet Pillow Queens (including a slot on the Late Late Show in the US last month) and Derry singer and radio presenter Gemma Bradley as an indicator of an evolving scene. “That was one of the motivations for me when I learned about what Girls Rock was. We needed that here, something needed to be done to make the scene more diverse. That’s something GRS tries to address in some way. We try to engage with the BAME youth and refugees and asylum seekers as well, marginalised groups.”

Would the GRS NI founder herself have benefitted from something like this when she was younger?

“I think about this all the time,” she sighs with a mixture of pride at her creation and a twinge of sadness in her voice. “God, it would have been so much better to have had that experience of learning things, like it’s okay to have body hair, it’s okay to be bisexual or gay or whatever. Those are the things that I struggled with as a teenager; if I’d have had an intervention à la going to a Girls Rock Camp, I wouldn’t have waited until 26 to come out. After camp ends, all the adults on our team are like, I wish I had this when we were wee! It’s a universally agreed thing.

In my experience growing up playing guitar, a formative experience of being different because of my gender was at a camp at the Nerve Centre in Derry. I remember being the only female guitarist in a room or fourteen or fifteen guys – looking round the room it just kinda hit me, like fuck, there’s not a lot of us doing this, why? It’s class at 28 to be able to look at things now. It’s not like we weren’t there, it’s hidden history.”

Shannon grew up around music with the radio always on. “My mammy would always be listening to Phil Collins-era Genesis, Fleetwood Mac, R.E.M. Then my brothers had Nirvana’s Unplugged in New York on CD and they would play that all the time, so my earliest kinda ‘cool’ song that I remember is ‘The Man Who Sold the World’, the David Bowie cover. I remember trying to work it out on my brother’s acoustic guitar too.”

She may have been raised on a healthy diet of the classics, but like any child of the noughties, we discuss the merits of Busted, Liberty X and Let Go-era Avril Lavigne.

Shannon jokes that she got into music professionally as it was the only GCSE she got an A* in, but it’s clear that music is much more of an integral part of her identity than good grades. She kept up guitar-playing and was always in bands with friends whilst studying film at uni, but something didn’t feel right and she found herself longing to be in the music building. Eventually, she switched to an HND in music at Belfast Met and went on to finish her degree at Queen’s.

“[My first band] Vanilla Gloom were doing pretty well; we supported ASIWYFA and toured Scotland when I was 19 or 20. Then I started Sister Ghost – you just keep at it and cool things happen. I was in the first band when I was 12 and now I’m 28 and I’m only just coming up now to possibly putting out an album. For me, it’s not happened overnight. It’s is an obsession to the point you can’t split it from your own identity. Songwriting is best way for me to express myself, to get over trauma, express joy and take up space. It’s like being high.”

In spite of, or perhaps because of the circumstances, the past year has provided fertile creative ground for Shannon. She launched the Sister Ghost podcast, tested her production chops working on friends’ projects, released a GRS fundraising mixtape Samhain and even breathed new life into a sewing machine inherited from her granny. Oh, and there’s the small matter of having written up to twenty new songs.

“We do have songs for this release we’ve been working on,” she shares. “If it takes until 2022, then I’m happy to wait because it’ll be worth it.” Fans can expect some old favourites and some brand new tracks, touching on the experiences of coming out and growing older in the liminal space between being a teenager and an adult.

“There’s some lyrics on it that I wrote years ago and I’m choosing to put on it now because I want it to capture that time period. But there’s also a big ‘fuck you’ song to dickhead exes. We get all the fire and passion of ‘Fake Friends Run This Country’, but not as politically pointed. It’s more of a personal album.”

Shannon has been listening to a lot of Soccer Mommy and Maximo Park recently. She flicks through her records as we chat. “Joni Mitchell’s been a big influence over the last couple of years – I love her album Hejira. I also love Kate Bush – just these women who tell great stories through their songwriting. I think that has fed into a lot of the newer Sister Ghost songs too, more of a maturity. I’m being more experimental with concepts, even the point of view of who’s singing the song. There’s a song that’s really influenced by the film Portrait of a Lady on Fire. I’m really influenced by the books I read and films I watch. I like the idea of music, film and books forming a trio that just feed off each other.”

Over the course of Sister Ghost’s career, ‘Backwards’ remains the song Shannon is proudest of. A brooding and distorted punk anthem, the 2019 release sounds like it was taken straight out of the nineties.

“I wrote that after finishing a tour in 2017; I wrote and recorded everything on a wee 8-track in a flat in Belfast and didn’t realise the song for a full year because I knew it was good and I wanted to have it done right,” she recounts. “We always love playing that one live too – I remember a gig in London where people were singing it back by the time we got to the third chorus – I was like, they’ve just heard this song, that’s cool! I’d never had that experience before with another song. If not’s broken don’t fix it, there’s nothing wrong with writing a good pop song like ‘Backwards’. It good to keep changing it up and challenging yourself too, that’s the only way you get better.”

Winning Best Live Act at the NI Music Prize last year has been bittersweet. “That was gutting. We were all geared up for 2020 to be full of shows. We were booked for shows in England and I was so excited. I want to get out there and show why we won Best Live Act. It’s a strange poetry that we won Best Live Act and then weren’t able to show off!” she laughs.

While she can’t be live on stage, Shannon is often live on the radio. Less than an hour after our call, she is due to host her radio show The Spooky Jukebox with The 343, playing vintage cuts from the sixties to the nineties. “I am a nerd about music,” she gushes, “encyclopaedic sometimes!” Last week’s show played tribute to country stars and unlikely COVID hero Dolly Parton; she has total freedom on the airwaves, so anything from her friends’ music to her current playlist favourites is on the cards.

Shannon O’Neill has taken what has been an incredibly difficult year for the creative industry in her stride. Through taking Girls Rock workshops online, imparting her years of experience to those just starting out and expanding the Sister Ghost catalogue, she is a force to be reckoned with in the Northern music scene. “I try not to be too harsh, that’s the only thing that’s ever stopped me. That’s why it’s taken me so long to get to a point now, because for so many years I was waiting to hear other people’s opinions… it’s something’s always stopped me, and it’s mostly been myself.”

To hell with self-doubt. And long live Girls Rock and Sister Ghost.


This feature originally appeared in print in Dig With It Issue 4, available here. It also appears in Rock n'Heavy here.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Niandra Lades and Usually Just a T-Shirt - John Frusciante

Dedicated to Clara Balzary, bandmate Flea's daughter (Source: wikipedia.org) "My smile is a rifle, won't you give it a try?" The first time I listened to Niandra Lades and Usually Just a T-Shirt was in the back of my family’s campervan parked in Calais after we’d just been robbed. I hadn’t listened to it – or any of Frusciante’s narcotic haze of nineties releases – since, preferring his more polished offerings of To Record Only Water for Ten Days and Shadows Collide With People , until my sister bought me a copy of Niandra Lades for my birthday. My main memories of the album were Frusciante’s wails making me jump as I tried to drift off with my headphones in. So, safe to say, I was a little apprehensive upon receiving this gift.      Although released in 1994, the first half of the album – Niandra Lades – was recorded prior to Frusciante’s departure from the Red Hot Chili Peppers during the recording of Blood Sugar Sex Magik at the allegedly haunted

The North is Next

'The North is Next' as it appears in print (Source: my own) “The North is Next” read the sign held aloft by Sinn F é in’s Michelle O’Neill and Mary Lou McDonald as the landslide victory of Ireland’s Repeal the 8 th referendum was announced at Dublin Castle earlier this year. Though for some, there was the underlying feeling that not all Irish women had reason to celebrate. Whilst the Republic’s constitutional ban on abortion would now be lifted, the six north-eastern counties of Ulster remain faced with some of the most restrictive abortion laws in the world. In the last few years, the Republic has been a leading light across the world for becoming the first country to legalise same sex-marriage by popular vote and also electing an openly gay Taoiseach. A once devoutly Catholic state has become a liberal and progressive society, dwarfing its conservative and backward northern counterpart. The four small words that make up that alliterative slogan – “The North is Next

Film Review: The Graduate (1967)

"Would you like me to seduce you?" Everyone knows the iconic still of Dustin Hoffman and a wedding dress-clad Katharine Ross looking relived and slightly bewildered sitting at the back of a bus. The actors’ expressions in this scene have gone on to become synonymous with Mike Nichols’ 1967 classic The Graduate . Recent East Coast graduate Benjamin Braddock (Dustin Hoffman), something of an over-achiever at college, returns to his home in the shallowness of white southern Californian suburbia, unsure of where his life is heading and surrounded by “plastics”. Following a family dinner party, Ben is seduced by his parents’ friend Mrs. Robinson (Anne Bancroft), spawning the classic line “Would you like me to seduce you?”. This then develops into a full-blown tremulous affair between the married and much older Mrs. Robinson and the virginal Ben. It soon becomes clear that Mrs. Robinson is in a loveless marriage and is only using Ben for sex. Coerced by his parents,