Skip to main content

Marcus Keeley

Marcus Keeley has reinvented himself on TikTok. Comedian and veteran of the Belfast creative scene, you may know him from his detailed reviews of unremarkable places, from Homebase to Applegreen to the dump, narrated in his signature witty monotone. His most popular, a visit to Tesco in Newtownbreda, has been viewed over 584,000 times.

“Occasionally [TikTok] would offer me these ‘aspirational’ review style videos of people going out for a fairly standard meal or spending a night glamping in Fermanagh as if it was a life-changing experience. I’m not denying folk having a nice time, but the express reason of these videos seemed to me to be to make it more than what it is. A lot of the time they come off as quite insincere too, which just led me to questioning why these videos were being made at all. From boredom these sorts of videos inspired in me, I rattled off a few clips of very mundane, everyday experiences but presented in the same style of an influencer. It turns out that going to Tesco or to a local park are quite relatable experiences, so people seem to enjoy them and for the most part have recognised the joke that I’m having with the format.”

Marcus first dipped his toes into world of comedy back in the mid-2000s, sneaking into poetry nights at The John Hewitt as a teenager. He went on to establish Voicebox Comedy in 2008 as an alternative to the more established comedy nights in Belfast. These days, he’s a regular at the Coven and Sunflower Comedy Clubs and just headlined his own show at The Strand.

When not podcasting, MCing or checking out the nearest Home Bargains, Marcus can be found livestreaming on Twitch. “Streaming has been invaluable in terms of exercising the same responsive stand-up muscle. The pace of streaming online is much slower than performing in front of a crowd – you can’t necessarily see or hear an online audience laugh. For me it’s a social experience and allows me to talk out whatever has been rattling around in my head or what’s been happening in the news. If I manage to come up with something entertaining on stream, I then consider if this is something I can bring to a live audience, adapting it so it’d work in an actual room of strangers.”

The lockdowns provided fertile ground for many trying their hand at short form comedy videos and really taking off. “There seems to have been a backlog of new comedians bursting onto the scene. For me it’s been a bit like being back at school – turning up to gigs and not knowing anybody’s name and feeling a little awkward and on the periphery amongst all these vibrant and young comedians. Everyone has been quite nice but I do feel old now. Sneaking into pubs to watch poetry feels like a very long time ago.”

I’m sure he’ll be back, like.

This feature was written for Dig With It magazine. It appears in print in Issue 10, which you can purchase here.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Niandra Lades and Usually Just a T-Shirt - John Frusciante

Dedicated to Clara Balzary, bandmate Flea's daughter (Source: wikipedia.org) "My smile is a rifle, won't you give it a try?" The first time I listened to Niandra Lades and Usually Just a T-Shirt was in the back of my family’s campervan parked in Calais after we’d just been robbed. I hadn’t listened to it – or any of Frusciante’s narcotic haze of nineties releases – since, preferring his more polished offerings of To Record Only Water for Ten Days and Shadows Collide With People , until my sister bought me a copy of Niandra Lades for my birthday. My main memories of the album were Frusciante’s wails making me jump as I tried to drift off with my headphones in. So, safe to say, I was a little apprehensive upon receiving this gift.      Although released in 1994, the first half of the album – Niandra Lades – was recorded prior to Frusciante’s departure from the Red Hot Chili Peppers during the recording of Blood Sugar Sex Magik at the allegedly haunted

The North is Next

'The North is Next' as it appears in print (Source: my own) “The North is Next” read the sign held aloft by Sinn F é in’s Michelle O’Neill and Mary Lou McDonald as the landslide victory of Ireland’s Repeal the 8 th referendum was announced at Dublin Castle earlier this year. Though for some, there was the underlying feeling that not all Irish women had reason to celebrate. Whilst the Republic’s constitutional ban on abortion would now be lifted, the six north-eastern counties of Ulster remain faced with some of the most restrictive abortion laws in the world. In the last few years, the Republic has been a leading light across the world for becoming the first country to legalise same sex-marriage by popular vote and also electing an openly gay Taoiseach. A once devoutly Catholic state has become a liberal and progressive society, dwarfing its conservative and backward northern counterpart. The four small words that make up that alliterative slogan – “The North is Next

Film Review: The Graduate (1967)

"Would you like me to seduce you?" Everyone knows the iconic still of Dustin Hoffman and a wedding dress-clad Katharine Ross looking relived and slightly bewildered sitting at the back of a bus. The actors’ expressions in this scene have gone on to become synonymous with Mike Nichols’ 1967 classic The Graduate . Recent East Coast graduate Benjamin Braddock (Dustin Hoffman), something of an over-achiever at college, returns to his home in the shallowness of white southern Californian suburbia, unsure of where his life is heading and surrounded by “plastics”. Following a family dinner party, Ben is seduced by his parents’ friend Mrs. Robinson (Anne Bancroft), spawning the classic line “Would you like me to seduce you?”. This then develops into a full-blown tremulous affair between the married and much older Mrs. Robinson and the virginal Ben. It soon becomes clear that Mrs. Robinson is in a loveless marriage and is only using Ben for sex. Coerced by his parents,